Monday, February 27, 2012

Weekend Cinnamon Rolls

At our house weekends are very special. We look forward to them all week. Usually by Tuesday evening my husband or I will start making suggestions of things we can do during the upcoming Saturday or Sunday.  I like to think of them as mini vacations. We all work very hard Monday through Friday so, Saturday and Sunday are spent relaxing and doing fun things.This may seem strange to some of you but, we think working in the yard is fun. I love to mow. I like to think of mowing as getting some cardio. It's just a bonus that getting my cardio is also making our yard lovely. 

The weekend is the time I like to try out new recipes. I would like to be able to tell you every dish I have ever prepared have all been huge hits and my family thinks I am the best cook that ever graced an apron. But, that would be a lie. The truth is some of them have not been received very well. Some of them have failed miserably. A couple of times the tasting of a new dish has sent us running for the phone and calling the pizza delivery man to rescue us from starvation. Oh well, I tried.  Some work and some don't. But, we will never know if we don't try. So, I encourage you to keep trying. Over time you will have many more hits than you have misses and your family will think of you as kitchen greatness. Who knows, someday your family may reward you with a tiara for all your efforts.  (Secretly, I want a sparkly tiara but, don't tell anyone) 

This recipe for cinnamon rolls is definately a keeper. It is one that takes a little patience because you have to wait for the rolls to rise after you put them together. The waiting is the hardest part. But believe me it is well worth the wait. Give it a try this weekend.Who knows, this may be the recipe that gets me that tiara.
Mixed together the brown sugar, pecans and cinnamon. Set aside.
Add a little flour to the rolling surface so it will not stick.

Roll it out in a 8X6 rectangle and brush with butter.
Add the sugar and pecan mixture.

Starting on the long side, roll it jelly roll style. Use a little water to seal edges.

Cut into 1-1 1/2 inch slices and place on a baking sheet to rise. Let rise in a warm area for about 1 1/2 hours until they are doubled in size. This is the hard part. Waiting.........

After they have risen, pour 1/3 cup of heavy cream over the rolls and bake .

M-m-m-m.... the kitchen is smelling pretty wonderful right about now.


Mix the ingredients for the glaze and drizzle over the top of the warm cinnamon rolls.

Here is the detailed recipe.
1 loaf of bread dough - thawed. I used Rhodes brand. But, any brand will be fine.
2T butter - melted
2/3 cup brown sugar
2/3 cup pecan pieces
1- 2 tsp. cinnamon
1/3 cup heavy cream
2/3 cup powder sugar
1 T. milk
Dash of vanilla

Roll dough into a 6x8 rectangle. Brush with the melted butter. Combine the brown sugar, nuts and cinnamon. Sprinkle over the dough. Starting on the long end, roll the dough jelly roll style.. Moisten the edge with a bit of water to seal. Cut into 20 slices. Place the rolls on a cookie sheet and allow them to rise for 1 1/2 hour or until the are doubled in size. Pour the cream over the rolls. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes. Combine the powdered sugar, butter and vanilla. ( I double this part of the recipe) Drizzle of warm rolls. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment